Thursday, June 11, 2009

I'm Auditioning!

Some of you may know that I have been taking voice lessons for the last year. My ultimate goal was to learn how to sing so Tom would like my singing, but Bryson, my teacher, has convinced me that I'm doing it for me as well! Anyway, I decided to use it for one of my Personal Progress projects. Bryson really wants me to sing in church so I figured that would be a good culminating end for my project. Well, we just got moved to the Champaign Ward and we have a new ward music chairman. I asked him if I could sign up for a musical number and he sat me down in the foyer and proceeded to ask me about my musical background, whether I had sung in choirs, how many solos I have sung, and so forth. And then he said that he was hesitant to let me sing in sacrament meeting without hearing me first. Not really knowing how I sing, he wanted to make sure that I didn't "need a few more weeks of practice!" So now I have to audition for a musical number in church! That's fantastic. As if I wasn't nervous enough as it was. Now I'm more nervous because what will I do if he says I need some more practice?

13 comments:

  1. I heard about this. I think I appreciate what he's shooting for (I've heard plenty of Sacrament musical numbers -- and probably participated in a few -- that weren't "top quality"), but I'm not sure that I like it. I always have thought about Sacrament special musical numbers as opportunities to share talents and invite the Spirit (probably prioritized the other way around!). Hm. Oh, well, not my stewardship. In any case, I've no doubt you'll do great and we wish we could be there to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just silly, it's not like you are trying to preform at the MET. Good luck, I'm impressed by the voice lessons :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome back to the blogging world by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny. I have never hear of that before. Anyway, I am sure you will do well. Let us know how it goes and I am so glad ot hear from you again. Did you ever to the 5k...if so how did it go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I don't know if I've ever heard of this before either.

    Chris - I hear what you're saying. Auditions take the emphasis off of the Spirit.

    I think even if someone were a bad musician and felt they should worship through a musical number, then I'm willing to sit through 3-4 minutes for them to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch. A full interview and audition? Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Voice lessons! Fun! I just figured you could already sing! At least you have a piano and a great singing man at home for duets.
    That comment above totally could have been written by my Chris!!! I had to check the profile to see if it was. Next time you and Tom come here or we come there maybe we can all sing together in sacrament mtg! Or, just having a sing-along at the piano is always great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! That's terrible! I have a pretty bad singing voice but I still love being in our tiny ward choir (I just sing softly out of consideration for others). Haven't been kicked out yet, but maybe it's because everyone is being Christ-like towards me. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by to comment, Liz! I'm glad you sing in your ward choir, even if you think your voice is bad. I think it shows your heart is in the right place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all, thank you for finally posting a new blog! The anticipation has been killing me all year.
    Second, though he is very talented, our choir director need not audition people for sacrament meeting. If he's so concerned about the quality of musical performances, then he needs to ask a certain member of our choir to take it down a notch so the rest of us can be heard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holly, you are cracking me up! However, I think you have the music chairman confused with the choir director.

    ReplyDelete
  12. FWIW, I think the choir director whould have heartily agreed to let Becca sing in sacrament meeting, with no interview or audition required.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gotcha. I'll forgive our choir director then. So do you get to sing Becca?

    ReplyDelete