Friday, September 24, 2010

Why do these silly mnemonics work?

One month into my first official year of medical school, I find myself wondering: Why do all these silly medical mnemonics work? I suppose some relate to the subject at hand:

"So long to pinky, here comes the thumb."

But others have nothing to do with the subject, and you'd think it would take just as much effort to remember what it's supposed to be helping you remember:

"Never let my empire burn"
"Suzy Taylor loves sex and pot"
"Cadavers are dead people"
"Randy Travis drinks cold beer"

And yet, I doubt I'll ever forget what these stupid little phrases helped me remember.

If you can think of any more to add, post them in a comment - I am on the lookout for the most ridiculous mnemonic ever (bonus points if you know what any of mine mean without using Google, and double bonus points if you caught and laughed at my stupid pun. I'm not sure what bonus points from me are worth - probably less than a Schrute buck).

6 comments:

  1. could it really be that hard to remember "cadavers are dead people"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, that's not hard to remember. But why does that help me remember the "clavicular, acromial, deltoid, and pectoral" arteries that come from the thoracoacromial trunk, which I remember as the T in Suzy Taylor?

    Which is more convoluted - memorizing the vessels themselves or the mnemeonics and what they stand for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to hand it to you on your pun.
    You're the man.

    There are several other vivid and not-approved-in-PG-rated-blogs mnemonics, some of which I'm sure you've heard. I'll have to think about the most ridiculous one I've heard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I messed it up my first attempt (I'll blame Taylor jumping on me).

    So You Thought We Should Sit Gladly Sewing My Sister's Little Kitten Boot, Ha Ha Meh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do check out my blog.Its got som really helpful mnemonics.Hope u'l like it.

    http://medicalpgmnemonics.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete